Smiggles posted 296 times to the ShockedBeyondBelief forum*. I’ve accounted for 289 of them. Here is everything he posted… if available. [Edit: the first attempt didn’t agree with wordpress, so I’ve embedded it as a Google spreadsheet, which works a bit better.]
Why isn’t everything there? Because, out of the 289 posts, the shooter subsequently erased 60 of them, by editing each post and replacing the text with “(Redacted.)”
Out of those 60 “redacted” posts, many can still be surmised by reading the quoted text from users later in the thread. Still, a total of 35 posts were deleted and never quoted, so those are probably gone for good. I’ve left entries for those with the appropriate URL, just to account for when and where in the forum each post was.
Many times, he just posted a link to a youtube video. I’ve labeled what each was, but again, only if the video is still available. A few aren’t. A few other posts have notes, where I thought useful.
The posts are in chronological order, which allows for a few observations:
- Smiggles wasn’t actually that active of a user; 300 posts may seem like a lot, but it was over the course of almost two years, and not spaced out regularly. There are bursts of activity, and then weeks or months of silence. In other words, this cannot possibly represent all of his online activity during that time. Few users of the forum probably even had an impression of him.
- Smiggles posted more than 296 times, though. There was at least one major purge of inactive forum threads between 2010 and 2013, and at least some of the threads that Smiggles participated in were involved. Smiggles himself created a thread observing this on January 14th, 2011, “Why did over half of all posts get deleted?” although this thread itself is one where his “redacted” posts do not survive. The Smiggles account was registered on December 30, 2009. The oldest post from him that I can find is from April 2, 2010. He must have posted at least once in that 3-month gap.
- Whenever and however he earned a reputation on the forum as a pedophile, that thread is apparently among those purged. Before collecting all the posts in one place, it seemed that reputation came from a 12/20/2011 post in the thread “Burn all the PS3, Wii, 360, Flatscreens, Smart phones, ipads”, in which he said “Literature is simply another coping mechanism for children who’ve been mindfucked by culturapists. They’re carried to other worlds in the stream of semen.” This did become something of an infamous post, but comments going back as early as November 2011 show he already had that reputation, such as a Nov 7th comment from another user “Holy shit, she’s 13. Smiggles, I found a girl for you.” Three days before that, Smiggles posted “I don’t think there should be any age of consent, but since no matter what I say everyone will accuse me of just wanting to justify some latent pedophilia I allegedly have…” which seems to be the earliest available indication of his reputation, already in place.
- He deleted posts in four waves. The deletions occured on 9/20/2010, 11/1/2010, 2/11/2011 and 5/28/2011.
- There doesn’t appear to be any logic to the deletions; the surviving “redacted” posts are no more damning than any of the un-redacted posts, and he continued to post, including his most personal entries, for a year after the last mass-deletion. From this, it appears that mass-deleting posts was done more on principle or out of habit than to hide any specific information, which jives with the official report’s interview with an unnamed friend, who said that the shooter liked to reformat his hard drive regularly as a way of “staying off the grid.”
- He requests a PM (private message) at one point, in “Topic for all Columbine-related movies/tv shows”. There’s no indication that anyone ever did, but it’s likely someone on the forum contacted him directly at some point. After all, the hard drive contents on the official report read: …suggesting that “The Stranger” or “SixteenBitElder” were someone he met while under the moniker “Smiggles,” which he (apparently) only used on this forum (or, perhaps, one of those two usernames *was* “Smiggles,” but the conversation was at last saved in a directory associated with his activity in this forum.)
More to come. In the meantime, I’ll be open to any corrections. Just leave a comment and we can probably crowdsource it from here.
(* = the forum wasn’t actually located at, or known as ShockedBeyondBelief (SBB) at the time the shooter was posting there; it was located at http://www.columbinegame.com/discuss/ and was referred to as the Super Columbine Massacre RPG forum, or SCMRPG; hence why SBB has the subtitle “THE NEW HOME OF SUPER COLUMBINE MASSACRE RPG DISCUSSION FORUM”. The data was later ported over to the new domain after the forum changed ownership. That being said, at this point, anyone looking for info on “Smiggles” is going to be looking for “Shocked Beyond Belief”, so I’m just going to leave it.)